Quantcast

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Castlevania Bloodlines

Agreed. Although I haven't spent much time with IV, something about Bloodlines was more accessible to me.

"Does your God know fear?"

WCPO Agent Cornelius Spunkwater's Avatar

I'm surprised more people don't have issues with John Morris. He's nigh-unplayable past the second level. Compared to Eric Lacarde, he's an absolute joke.

Unplayable? I've never had any problems with beating the game with John Morris. Maybe it's because I played those early NES games before Bloodlines, and so was familiar with the limitations they had on the main character, but John Morris wasn't any better or worse to beat the game with over Eric Lacarde to me.

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS), Fantasy Zone (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done: R-Type, Ninja Gaiden, Rastan, Gods, Sagaia

Don't even try to compare playing as Morris to previous CV games. Far as I can remember, those enemies all had concrete patterns that worked with limited whipping range. Now, aside from a paltry diagonal whip, you have the same controls against a number of enemies who move more randomly. It doesn't work well, and it's clear that John Morris was added to the game as an afterthought.

Konami should've left it at Eric Lacarde, cut John Morris, and called it good. CV: Bloodlines would've been a better game for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius Spunkwater View Post
    Don't even try to compare playing as Morris to previous CV games. Far as I can remember, those enemies all had concrete patterns that worked with limited whipping range. Now, aside from a paltry diagonal whip, you have the same controls against a number of enemies who move more randomly. It doesn't work well, and it's clear that John Morris was added to the game as an afterthought.
    Oh ho, I'm comparing them all right... so PUT 'EM UP!

Anyway, my memories of those games include how some enemies in CV 1-3 respawned repeatedly and popped up at the worst times (the Medusa heads and bats that come out at whatever height you were at say "hi"), and enemies that suddenly knocked you into pits/water off of platforms (like those damn fishmen). Some also randomly jumped around (like those fleamen and hunchbacks), and the games provided many a frustrating section as you got farther into them (remember that damned last corridor before you reached Death in CV1... or Death from that game?). From my experiences, the enemies in CV 1-3 shared more similarities with Bloodlines than differences in terms of how random or concrete their attacks and patterns were. Sure, the harpies in Bloodlines are a pain in the ass, but I think the first three Castlevanias have enemies and sections of their own to match them reasonably evenly.

As I said, I had no issues playing the game, and beating it on Expert, with John Morris... and I'm no game pro by any stretch of the imagination. Perhaps it didn't mesh with you, but if I could do it without continuing, anyone can.
    Last edited by The Coop; 11-06-2013 at 08:36 AM. Reason: To make it less snarky.

Catchin The Vapor Trail Wildside Expert BoostedGR33K's Avatar

I couldn't play as John Morris past level 2 myself either. I only managed to ever get to the Final Stage with Eric Lecarde, then after that I just couldnt hang. The only castlevania to date that I've beaten was Castlevania Lament Of Innocence for PS2. I just couldnt get anywhere with any of the other castlevania games.... >_> Castlevania IV was a great one, and while its as fun as Bloodlines (at least in my mind), I couldnt get far in that one either. After the level where you fight the knight in the glass case, I just got obliterated real quick... One day I'll get on your guys/gals level... -Ben
    Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

CV4 has its own BS issues too. The rotating platforms around stage 5 like to move faster than you can react, which I have no doubt is something intended only to piss off the player. In addition, the color palette leaves something to be desired.

I find it funny that to play as John Morris in Bloodlines is to essentially handicap yourself. You think Konami could have been arsed to give him multi-directional whipping for Christ's sakes. I mean, CV4'd already been out for three years. What's the excuse?

Having two playable characters for Bloodlines is a brilliant feature which I enjoy and I feel that Konami was sincere about implementing in the game to have it experienced through two perspectives: John Morris reminiscent of the "traditional" vampire-slayer and Eric LeCarde incorporated as the more contemporary character per the dynamic controls seen in Super Castlevania IV.

Further, it adds to the longevity of the game and supports the branching levels as unique to that respective player. I am absolutely an Eric player, but having the option to play as one or another is certainly a strength not a limitation.

It's only brilliant if both characters don't suck. If we really want to delude ourselves into believing that Konami was sincere about John Morris' inclusion by bringing on the excuse of the 8-bit CV experience, I guess nothing's going to stop a die-hard Sega fan.

Like I said, there's absolutely no excuse for John Morris not to control exactly like Belmont did in CV4. It's just sheer laziness on Konami's part.

It's only brilliant if both characters don't suck. If we really want to delude ourselves into believing that Konami was sincere about John Morris' inclusion by bringing on the excuse of the 8-bit CV experience, I guess nothing's going to stop a die-hard Sega fan.

Like I said, there's absolutely no excuse for John Morris not to control exactly like Belmont did in CV4. It's just sheer laziness on Konami's part.
    The game can be played in two different ways; traditionally (JM), and a new way (EL). Enjoying both isn't deluding oneself in the least, nor is it being a "die-hard Sega fan." It's finding the game to be fun and playable, regardless of which character is chosen, because they both control fine. If you can't beat the game with one, that's not the fault of the game in this instance, because it's not broken. Just as an example of something similar, how many people are good at Street Fighter II with Dhalsim? I can't play using that character for shit, but I've watched others absolutely trounce the game with him, because they learned how to use him, learned his strengths and weaknesses, and the controls worked great for them to do so. But since I could never get the hang of Dhalsim, does that mean he sucks, and the game sucks playing as him? Nope. It just means my skill with that character needs work, and the same goes for you with John Morris.

As for the whip, I can understand not liking the step back Bloodlines took with the controlling of it. But that's a personal taste thing. Konami went back to simpler controls, just like they did with Rondo of Blood, and its offshoot, Castlevania: Dracula X. Some hated the step back in those games as well, but others (like myself) had no problems with it. Does this mean I'm saying that Konami wasn't lazy? No, as that is a possibility (rushed deadline? lack of programming skill to implement it?). But seeing as the teams behind Bloodlines, Rondo, and Dracula X all did the same basic thing, it could also just as easily have been a design choice from the get go, and not laziness.
    Last edited by The Coop; 11-07-2013 at 12:07 AM. Reason: TYPOS!

Banned by Administrators

Rondo of Blood? Dracula X? Really? Everyone with any sense recognizes they're vastly inferior to SCIV. Especially in terms of controls, if nothing else.

Anyway, I agree with A Black Falcon 100%. In fact, the way he states it, it makes me realize how asinine Bloodlines' control really is. I honestly think the only reason people put on the rose-colored glasses and defend it here is because it's the only CV on the Genesis.

Banned by Administrators

Rondo of Blood? Dracula X? Really? Everyone with any sense recognizes they're vastly inferior to SCIV. Especially in terms of controls, if nothing else.

Anyway, I agree with A Black Falcon 100%. In fact, the way he states it, it makes me realize how asinine Bloodlines' control really is. I honestly think the only reason people put on the rose-colored glasses and defend it here is because it's the only CV on the Genesis.
    Perhaps a hack putting at least sc4 snes character and directions of weapon/control can be made for bloodlines (maybe sc4 extra stage)? Call it bloodlines remix and put it on everdrive.

Would you care to push your opinion a little more? I don't think the pedestal you've put it can be seen by everyone just yet.
    Last edited by The Coop; 11-07-2013 at 08:06 AM.

Of course I'll push it. I enjoyed this game for what it was, namely the level design, music, bosses, and overall challenge, but I still have harsh criticism for what it was also, i.e. giving us a good character and a subpar character when we could've had one really great character. 9/10? 9/10, my aching ass. The only way this would've merited a 9/10 is if Konami had removed Lacarde and given him multi-directional thrusting in mid-jump like he should've had in the first place. He could thrust down in mid-jump, so what happened?

Imagine that for a moment: A refined Lacarde, and I think this game would've been a contender against Castlevania IV.

What probably happened is that the design team was making the game around Eric Lacarde, for the sake of a refreshing change that a spear-wielding vampire hunter would offer, and as they were 3/4 of the way through developing him, someone in upper management checked the game out and bitched that there was no Vampire Killer Whip. Thus, John Morris was born.

Thread Information