Quantcast

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Virtua Racing is a lot of fun!

Wildside Expert

Default Virtua Racing is a lot of fun!

When I first got it a few weeks back, I thought it looked terrible. But I played it for a couple hours last night and the more I keep away from modern 3D games, the more amazing this game looks. I'm trying to put myself in 1993-94 so I can appreciate this game more. It's pretty amazing that the Genesis can pull this off even with the help of the SVP chip.

The Genesis processors isent powerful enough to make the graphics, but it's powerful enough to display them? How exactly does it work? Can someone break it down for me?

Doing 3D math and rasterizing polygons (even flat shaded ones) takes a lot of horsepower to do fast enough for a race game. The Genesis can do this without the SVP, but not really fast enough for racing (see the SkyFox demo as an example). VR is a fairly low-color flat shaded game, so you can dither the pixels and still look good enough for the game. Lots of Genesis games used dithering for more colors. For a recent example, look at the MD port of Wolf3D by gasega68k. So the Genesis could show the graphics, but just needed a little help to push the 3D fast enough to make an enjoyable racing game.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

I like Stunt Race FX better. Although yes, technically it runs slower, but that doesn't prevent the game from being playable. Moreover, Stunt Race FX has a real physics engine. Virtua Racing completely lacks that, making it rather boring to play.

RORRING STAAAAART! Master of Shinobi FuturePrimitive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    I like Stunt Race FX better. Although yes, technically it runs slower, but that doesn't prevent the game from being playable. Moreover, Stunt Race FX has a real physics engine. Virtua Racing completely lacks that, making it rather boring to play.
    BOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! That's a crazy notion. You must not be playing Virtua Racing correctly if you think Stunt Race FX is better. In the words of The Video Game Critic, "Hard on the eyes and even harder to play, Stunt Race FX is about as likeable as Rosie O'Donnell". Really, read his review on it. That's pretty much how I feel about Stunt Race FX and I play a wide variety of racing games. Scroll down alphabetically after clicking on the URL.

http://videogamecritic.com/snessnz.htm

Reviews in the pipeline:
    Choplifter (Master System and SG-1000)
    Ys: The Vanished Omens with FM Sound Patch!

I played both stunt race fx and virtua racing back in the day and honestly I didn't care for either one of them. I still haven't played VR on 32x though. Maybe I'll like it better.

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePrimitive View Post
    BOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! That's a crazy notion. You must not be playing Virtua Racing correctly if you think Stunt Race FX is better. In the words of The Video Game Critic, "Hard on the eyes and even harder to play, Stunt Race FX is about as likeable as Rosie O'Donnell". Really, read his review on it. That's pretty much how I feel about Stunt Race FX and I play a wide variety of racing games. Scroll down alphabetically after clicking on the URL.

http://videogamecritic.com/snessnz.htm
    Well, there's always overclocking if Stunt Race FX is too slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Kids these days...
    Seriously, even as a 7 year old, I had taste in racing games. I like the car to interact with the track. Stunt Race FX does that, Virtua Racing doesn't. I realize that VR is older and more groundbreaking, but given the choice of flat shaded racers, my favorite is Stunt Race FX.

I see what you did there in your sig, how cute.

Seriously, even as a 7 year old, I had taste in racing games. I like the car to interact with the track. Stunt Race FX does that, Virtua Racing doesn't. I realize that VR is older and more groundbreaking, but given the choice of flat shaded racers, my favorite is Stunt Race FX.

I see what you did there in your sig, how cute.
    Barone probably quoted your dig against Virtua Racing, because it's just as preposterous as the other quotes in his signature. What Virtua Racing on the Genesis did, was emulate the pure racing feel and raw speed of the real Virtua Racing arcade machine, which had surprisingly realistic Formula 1/Indy Car style physics for the most part. It was an impossible task for the Genesis and SVP back then to perfectly replicate the arcade hardware, so SEGA and AM2 instead focused on capturing what made Virtua Racing so Earth-shattering and revolutionary, then downsized it for a smaller console package.

What translates over from the arcade is if you precisely follow the ideal driving line and master the sport-bike comparable manual transmission, then you will win races. On top of that, Virtua Racing for the Genesis keeps a consistent and quick polygon framerate while you are attempting to set new record times. Virtua Racing also looks fantastic in RGB. Virtua Racing as a whole appeals more to pure racing fans.

Reviews in the pipeline:

The hippies were right. Raging in the Streets AlecRob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePrimitive View Post
    Barone probably quoted your dig against Virtua Racing, because it's just as preposterous as the other quotes in his signature. What Virtua Racing on the Genesis did, was emulate the pure racing feel and raw speed of the real Virtua Racing arcade machine, which had surprisingly realistic Formula 1/Indy Car style physics for the most part. It was an impossible task for the Genesis and SVP back then to perfectly replicate the arcade hardware, so SEGA and AM2 instead focused on capturing what made Virtua Racing so Earth-shattering and revolutionary, then downsized it for a smaller console package.

What translates over from the arcade is if you precisely follow the ideal driving line and master the sport-bike comparable manual transmission, then you will win races. On top of that, Virtua Racing for the Genesis keeps a consistent and quick polygon framerate while you are attempting to set new record times. Virtua Racing also looks fantastic in RGB. Virtua Racing as a whole appeals more to pure racing fans.
    Virtua racing makes me want to puke on RGB. Too much dithering.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

I should really grab the NTSCJ version, it's dirt cheap and I'm on a bit of a 16-bit racing/3D kick at the moment.

Probably goes without saying but the cover of the Japanese game actually looks like it has something to do with VR, unlike the generic western cover art.

I like the car to interact with the track. Stunt Race FX does that, Virtua Racing doesn't.
    Wow, I never noticed that VR allowed you to drive through the air and obstacles. Here I always thought you had to stick to the road and avoid things like walls and buildings and such.

I think that VR interacts with the track plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by AlecRob View Post
    EVERY console used dithering up to the N64... and then people switched to complaining about the blurry smeared textures. Can't make people happy NO HOW!

Quote Originally Posted by AlecRob View Post
    That's laughable. Never a problem to me. If you think Virtua Racing makes you want to puke, try Stunt Race FX. Stunt Race FX is downright nauseating by design. It's like every spinning amusement park ride and seasickness with a massive splash of poor framerate, awful camera perspective, and delayed, wobbly controls that give you vertigo.

But yeah, take one of my sentences out of context and ignore all of the rest of my valid points. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    I should really grab the NTSCJ version, it's dirt cheap and I'm on a bit of a 16-bit racing/3D kick at the moment.

Probably goes without saying but the cover of the Japanese game actually looks like it has something to do with VR, unlike the generic western cover art.
    The Japanese Virtua Racing artwork is awesome. I wish SEGA of America was just as proud and flamboyant with the signature Virtua Racing flat-shaded polygons.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Wow, I never noticed that VR allowed you to drive through the air and obstacles. Here I always thought you had to stick to the road and avoid things like walls and buildings and such.

I think that VR interacts with the track plenty.

EVERY console used dithering up to the N64... and then people switched to complaining about the blurry smeared textures. Can't make people happy NO HOW!
    Instant rep. Chilly Willy should be repped tenfold for telling it like it is.

Reviews in the pipeline:

Okay I will be more specific with why I don't like VR.

The car is seemingly magnetically attached to the road, there's no suspension or any sort of indication the car is really a car and not some cardboard box sliding across the ground. This is the worst when the car goes up or down a half pipe style incline, where the camera jerkily rotates...

By comparison, Stunt Race FX is wildly exaggerated and slower, but I'd rather play that instead anyway.

My VR experience is from Virtua Racing Deluxe.

Okay I will be more specific with why I don't like VR.

The car is seemingly magnetically attached to the road, there's no suspension or any sort of indication the car is really a car and not some cardboard box sliding across the ground. This is the worst when the car goes up or down a half pipe style incline, where the camera jerkily rotates...

By comparison, Stunt Race FX is wildly exaggerated and slower, but I'd rather play that instead anyway.

My VR experience is from Virtua Racing Deluxe.
    Now that kind of criticism is better than the previous. In defense of VR, remember that it's based on racers running on an almost perfectly flat track... you know, like 99% of all racing in real life. In real life, you can't drive a vehicle at nearly 200 MPH across a track that makes the car bounce or anything. The cars follow the track like the are glued to it or they go flying through the air (which does on occasion happen, much to the delight of the crowd). So in that respect, VR is much more realistic, even if not nearly as much fun. I think that's why people like off-roading race games better - they want cars flying all over as they crest hills and hit ruts and bumps.

Actually, I prefer those kinds of racers, myself. Unfortunately, we didn't get one on the SVP or 32X.

Guntz: You should play the arcade version, or maybe the Saturn or PS2 version (with racing wheels) if you want more suspension travel. The fact of the matter is, F1 and Indy cars have very little suspension travel in the first place, since they have rack-and-pinion and extremely low chassis' for the best aerodynamics. These aren't monster trucks with massive shock absorbers.

Virtua Racing Deluxe on the 32X is nearly flawless as a cartridge racing game from that time. Virtua Racing on the Genesis is only slightly behind that.

Let me put it this way in the style of Top Gear: If Stunt Race FX is ambitious, but rubbish... then Virtua Racing is ambitious, underrated, and belongs on the "Cool Wall" for being a milestone in video game history.

Reviews in the pipeline:

Thread Information